HEAR Foundation Surprised Senior Jacqueline Mendoza With $20,000 Scholarship

Juan Salinas

Juan Salinas

Juan Salinas

Juan Salinas

Katie Morris, Reporter

Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) Senior, Jacqueline Mendoza, was awarded the Health Education and Relief (HEAR) Scholarship Foundation for Marquette University.

The HEAR Scholarship Foundation surprised Mendoza on Thursday, May 3rd, in class awarding her with the $20,000 giant check for her college tuition which will be sent to the college with increments of 5,000 per year for four years. The Scholarship took five hundred applicants, interviewed the fifth they choose, and gave scholarships to only 24 Chicago high schoolers. Over her years at Taft, Mendoza has pushed herself with Advanced Placement (AP) classes, and being involved with extracurriculars like the being captains of both Cross-Country and Track and Field. She will be attending Marquette University to study biomedical science.

“I think you should do anything you possibly can to help your family financially. It was based on luck that I came across this scholarship and I did not think I would get this far, but here I am… I definitely have to thank my AVID teacher, Mr. Salinas, because he was always on us about getting scholarships. Without him I don’t think I would have been so driven. He also wrote me many letters of recommendations along with my counselor Ms. Abrego who has given me so much help with the college process,” said Mendoza.

The HEAR Scholarship Foundation began in 2010 with the mission to provide financial and mentoring support to Chicagoland High School graduates of need, who have demonstrated academic excellence, commitment to community, and highest moral character in pursuing their dream of a college education. The process of this scholarship is long and the requirements are difficult to meet. The scholarship requires a unweighted GPA of or above 3.0, ACT score of 24 or above, SAT score of 1110 or above, is in financial need; a person of excellent character, impeccable work ethic, a commitment to service, and a United States citizen.

“Jackie (Jacqueline) is an amazing overall student. Everything she needed to get done she got done whether it was in school or in sports. She is a great athlete and has been involved with volunteer work from around the school. In the classroom she is a really good role model. Whenever there was an assignment or a test she would make sure it was completed at its best. For other students they could see her as a example of how things needed to be done. She always put forth that effort. She definitely helped the overall community in the classroom,” said AVID teacher, Juan Salinas.

The HEAR Scholarship Foundation chooses around 24 Chicago High School students each year to be awarded for this scholarship, the applications are open in 2019 for seniors who fill those requirements.