Elementary Classes Visit Taft for We Will Rock You Musical

Tamoor Baig, Reporter

Taft High School held its opening night of the musical We Will Rock You last Wednesday and invited classes from neighborhood elementary schools to view parts of the play during an in school performance.  

Classes from Hitch Elementary School where invited to attend an in school performance of segments of the We Will Rock You musical in the auditorium. There the students got to see segments of the play and experience the music and story that the musical had to offer. For many, it was not the first time that they viewed a play at Taft, the performance left a positive impression on the students.

“I thought the acting was really good, I thought the singing was, like everything seemed really well done. It’s really cool to have a live band in front of you, to have live performance like that. I thought it was a really cool experience,” said Matthew Klima, a student from Hitch Elementary.

Many appreciated the performance and live music and thought of the play as a great learning experience for their students. The musical gave students the ability to experience something more outside the realm of textbooks and gave them something that they could feel, relate to and remember. The performance also opened the doors for middle school students to see what theater and performance is like.

“Live music is hard to find and also real singing and acting. In this digital age, what is real anymore? Here you see the real thing from costumes, lights, sound production,  music, and also lead and support roles. This is truly a community event and is something for the kids to see who have an interest in the performing arts to see how these talents can be developed at this age and maybe perhaps for a lifelong career down the road,” said Ray Kainzie, an 8th grade teacher Hitch Elementary.

Teachers praised the presentation of the play and how the cast truly embodied and took on the play making it their own. It allowed the students to explore complex themes that Queen sang about in a safe and creative environment.

“This is a very valuable performing art and teachers need to see that live theater is still a very valuable learning and teaching experience because it is not about what you see on television or in a book it is about what you experience as an audience member. Emotions are real, reality is a good place to teach from so I always think that going with theater is a good place to go,” said Kainzie.

The We Will Rock You performance will help students understand what the performing arts are and what may be a very realistic career choice for some. The art of theaters helps to teach outside the boundaries of a textbook and the classroom and adds a new and spectacular element to learning. The Hitch Elementary, as well as the community are excited to see what Taft’s drama and theatre have to offer next.