An Eagle Leaves The Nest

NJROTC Master Sergeant Leaves Instructor Position At Taft To Take Government Job

An Eagle Leaves The Nest

Jazzia Barrios, Reporter

Master Sergeant Trevor Barlow Sr. of Taft High School’s Navy Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (NJROTC) program has spent the last three years teaching the cadets everything he knows, but sadly his time with us is ending as he moves onto other projects.

Before making the move from Queens, New York to Chicago, Barlow attended Jamaica High School in NY, where the ROTC program was not an option yet.

“I have a family full of veterans. Army, Marine, Navy, Airforce, and its continued in the younger generation in my family. The most notable influences were the friends and family that served in the Korean War and in the Vietnam War but we can never forget those who served in World War II, the greatest generation in my opinion,” said Barlow Sr.

Barlow Sr. was inspired and served in the Marines for 20 years before becoming an instructor for Taft’s NJROTC program in August of 2015.

“Being an instructor, it definitely showed me the value this program has, especially here at Taft. which is a great school,” said Barlow Sr.

Barlow Sr. has had a great experience at Taft and enjoyed his time with us.

“It‘s been remarkable. This is the absolute best place to attend school in Chicago. This is the best place to work in my opinion. Especially as a junior ROTC instructor,” said Commander Elger.

Despite having other options, Barlow Sr. ultimately decided to teach at Taft.

“There’s always plenty of options, however this is the position that I felt I would be best suited for and that I could continue to give back and continue to do so, but to do so on a smaller level and in the high school environment,” said Barlow Sr.

In the couple of years that Barlow Sr. has been an instructor, his students have become very fond of him and were saddened upon hearing the news of his depart from Taft.

Barlow Sr. will be saying goodbye to Taft to go manage a branch at a federal agency located in North Chicago near the Great Lakes Naval Base.

“When Master Sergeant told us that he was leaving, I broke down a little bit. We’ve gotten close and I had him sophomore year as an instructor and he has helped me a lot to get through hard times,” said Cadet Jessica Piatkowski.

He is always there to encourage his students to do the best they can and make sure that his students meet their goals.

“He is an instructor that believes in all his cadets and he is an instructor who tells his cadets to never give up on hard situations. He also is a very strong instructor. He doesn’t let anyone be put down or fail at what they are trying to accomplish,” said Piatkowski.

Barlow Sr. cares deeply for his students and does everything in his power to see his students prosper and help them find their own path.

“I’ve taken it upon myself to insure that I treat all of my students with dignity and with respect. That I am a good listener and that I give the best advice that I can when it’s requested,” said Barlow Sr.

He has proven to the school and his fellow instructors that his hard work has paid off and his communication with the cadets has made an impact.

Not only will he be missed by his cadets dearly, but his fellow instructors also.  

“It’s been amazing. He is a great guy. The kids love him. He bonded with them immediately. He is going to be difficult to replace,” said Commander Gerard Egler.

As Barlow Sr. starts a new journey in a new workplace, he will be greatly missed by his cadets and fellow instructors. The NJROTC program and the rest of the Taft family wish him the absolute best in his future plans.