Taft Needs A New Pool

Sean Watson, Reporter

Taft is in desperate need of a new aquatics facility. Boys swimming, girls swimming, and waterpolo spend countless hours in a four lane bathtub, and enough is enough.     

Taft’s swimming pool currently only has four lanes by 20-meters, which is more suited for a school with a smaller population and one that does not have have a competitive swim team for both men and women.

Taft has a student body size of around 3,200 kids. Although not all students utilate the  pool as much as our competitive aquatics do, almost all students will use learn to swim for a semester of their gym class.

Some of the problems that the pool faces can be solved before entering the pool, in the locker room. Students carelessly enter into the pool with: hair gel, hairspray, and hopefully some form of deodorant enter the pool. So at the end of the day all of these products are put mixed together and forms a layer of film on the surface of the pool.  This problem could be easily fixed if the students would just simply take a quick shower in provided by the locker before entering the pool.

According to loneswimmer.com not rinsing off  before you enter any sort or type of pool will destroy the chemicals that keep the pool clean because they are working twice as hard. Just a quick rinse  before getting in the pool will be just fine to keep the pool from becoming contaminated.     

And now the size. Taft’s Aquatics program has a difficult time scheduling practice without their being a obstacle in the way. Both the men’s and women’s program have a substantial amount of kids participating on their teams. This forces varsity and junior varsity to practice at different times of the day, typically leaving the upperclassman to leave school at around 8:00 p.m.

A regulation size pool is at the very least 25 yards long with at least four lanes. Numerically the difference between a regulated pool and Taft’s pool does not appear to be an outstanding difference. But to a competitive swimmer a few yards can make all the difference, your times will be slower than others because you have to do more flip turns, also since you are not used to a 25 yard pool you tire out faster.

Taft’s swim programs can only be taken so far with the players and the coaching staff then they are given. A new pool is wanted in hopes that it will help boost the number of swimmers that they get and the talent being pushed out of the school.