Former CPS Student Returns As Student Teacher

Jazzia Barrios, Reporter

Chicago Native Alondra Flores is excited to return to high school to take a leap towards starting her career as an English Teacher by student teaching.

Flores attended Amundsen High School and participated in the IB program all four years. During those four years, she also played for the Girls Softball team, and even played her freshman year in college. She currently attends the University of Illinois in Champaign Urbana where she is studying English.

Once in college. She decided to join a Latina sorority.

“I wanted to be around women who looked like me and had similar goals and ambitions as me, along with uplifting each other in an institution that was not necessary built for students of color,” said Flores.

Flores also became vice president of the United Greek Council of UIUC, which is a council that consists of all the cultural sororities and fraternities.

“This role allowed me to speak up on a lot of issues that we face within this community like hazing and also engaging our community in conversations that are affecting students of color in and outside of campus,” said Flores.

Because of her love of helping others, from a young age, Flores knew that she wanted to become a teacher.

“I feel like there is so much as a teacher could do to impact students for the better. Growing up, I feel like I had teachers that always were there for me and who I knew I could count on,” said Flores.

Being able to choose any grade level to teach, Flores chose high school because she believes that those are the most important years of a students academic life.

“I think that high school are the years that matter because you have the opportunity to change your life around, and it’s like you can decide to continue going to school which I want to encourage my students to do,” said Flores.

Flores also had the opportunity to choose where to student teach. She ultimately chose Chicago as it is closer to home and is where she someday hopes to teach permanently.

“The reason I did it is because I think representation really matters and I know that I’m going to be teaching here in CPS after I graduate so I figured that it’d be best to get my experience and field placement here as opposed to on campus,” said Flores.  

Despite coming to Taft as a teacher rather than a student, Flores was still very nervous to meet her students and peers.

“I was really nervous at first because I didn’t know obviously anyone here, but the teachers and staff and just everyone was really friendly,” said Flores.

Flores spoke about how Taft is similar to the high school she attended.

“[Taft] is a lot like my high school, big, diverse, so it wasn’t very awkward coming in because I was used to it as a student,” said Flores.

Flores has many responsibilities as a student teacher, such as taking over all of English teacher Alma Vera’s classrooms, creating lesson plans and having to submit them into Vera as well as her supervisor.

Due to her background, Flores hopes to work in schools with lower income, less resources and with a greater population of minority students.

“Especially in communities where minorities are underrepresented, that’s where they need me. Going into Amundsen, I knew that my classmates and peers were not receiving the same resources as people who attended private school or any other education system,” said Flores.

Her own past experiences have been a motivator to make the change she wishes she had seen while she was in school.

“Minorities or students of color, we think that there are no opportunities out there but I feel like it’s a matter of someone pushing you,” said Flores.  

Despite having to leave Taft in May for graduation, Flores plans on returning to Chicago and hopes to continue her career in CPS.