African American Club Hosts Motivational Speaker

Chantelle+Branch+speaking+to+her+audience.+
Chantelle Branch speaking to her audience.

Meghan Kelly

Meghan Kelly

Katie Morris, Reporter

The African-American Club hosted motivational speaker, Chantelle Branch, to inspire, motivate, and inform the Taft faculty and students in the new year during Black History Month.

February, being Black History Month, includes many exciting and informative events here at Taft thanks to African-American Club. The events are available for the Taft faculty and students to join in and celebrate all the accomplishments and roles that African-Americans have played in United States history. This week’s event included a African-American mother and Taft alumni class of 2000, Branch, giving a motivational and enriching speech in the auditorium for all who came to listen.

Branch came to Taft, being a leader of today, and left hoping to have inspired and motivated the leaders of tomorrow. She also came to break the silence and speak on behalf of the men and women dealing with domestic violence; and to motivate people to know that they can make a change. She wrote a book about her experience called Decisions to show people that they have control over their life and how to be a leader themselves.

“I think these events happening throughout February are a wonderful way to share the history of African-Americans to the Taft community…When I was here at Taft for my high school years we didn’t have an African-American club that did events like this at all… This is a great way to share with other ethnicities, that way everyone learns about the different journeys it took to get where we are today.” said Branch.

Taft’s African-American Club promotes the awareness of the African-American Culture through song, dance, documentaries, and education. Their focus is on educating students about the importance of building close interpersonal relationships while enjoying the experiences African American communities have contributed to society. Black History Month is the month of February and is celebrated nationally and worldwide to remember the important contributions and achievements of African Americans throughout our nation’s rich history.

“Black History Month is not just about the african-american heritage, but also all of the cultures and ethnicities coming together to celebrate as one,” said sponsor of African-American club, Charman Dortch.

This year’s Black History Month at Taft contains many more events from the African-American club. The club will be holding a performance on Feb. 15 which includes  dance, song, or poetry by the club in the auditorium. Lastly, there will be a lunch held in the forum on Feb. 22 including foods of their culture as well.

The African-American Club is open to all ethnic groups, if you are interested in learning more about their culture, they meet on Tuesdays in room 182 after school, meetings run as long as 5 p.m. Also look out for the other events surrounding Black History Month in the month of February.