Taft’s Annual Flour Baby Project Comes Back To Teach Teens About Responsibility

Juliana Bahena, Reporter

Babies can be a scary responsibility to take on, especially if you’re not mentally prepared. Recently, psychology students were able to participate in Taft’s famous Flour Baby Project which gives students the experience of what it’s like to take care of a baby and all the difficulties that come with it.

The project ties into the Human Development Unit. Throughout the project, students are required to carry a five pound bag of flour as their baby, and are also required to name, dress, and provide for them. In addition, they must also keep track of everyday activities in a journal.  
Much like an actual child, the parents are required to know where and with who the “baby” is at all times.  

“Although it isn’t a real baby it was definitely stressful. It really showed you how to put someone’s needs before your own. Of course your arm got tired from holding a 5lbs bag of flour all day but you can’t just throw it in your locker. That is your child, and you would never leave your child alone for hours on end. When you couldn’t watch your own baby [like for gym class], you had to find a babysitter who would. It definitely is a huge responsibility,” said Denise Carvajal.

For many this project was to serve as an eye opener. Many teens often believe they are finally adults and can handle the challenge, but after the project, they may have second thoughts.

“I already had an idea that I was nowhere near ready to have a child but this project completely proved my point. It’s so important that teens realize these things,” says Carvajal.

Psychology teachers encourage the project with hopes that students start to appreciate everyday things that they often overlook.

“I did a flour baby project myself and I remember opening my locker and having to find someone to hold my baby while I put books away. These are things you never think of and take for total granted when you don’t have children. The whole idea is to get these kids to make responsible decisions at this age, even though it is essentially a lifeless bag of flour,” says psychology teacher, Michael Klodzinski.

Although the project covered a serious unit, students were able to take a creative approach and dress it the way they please. Some students used household items to create a life like body for it.

“My favorite part of this project was getting to dress the baby the way I pleased. I also took the extra step and gave my baby a body. It was definitely interesting to see the looks I got from people because it did look like a real baby. I did take the baby everywhere I went even outside of school,” says Adam Allam.

As students have continued to enjoy the annual Flour Baby Projects throughout the years, it continues to be a fun experiment for teens while also taking a unique approach to serious lifelong lessons.