Tis’ The Season To Donate

Students+donating+time+and+blood+to+The+Heartland+Blood+Center+
Students donating time and blood to The Heartland Blood Center

Katie Morris

Katie Morris

Katie Morris, Reporter

The annual Taft Student Government Blood Drive is back, for the second time of the 2017-2018 school year, working with Heartland Blood Center.

The blood drive was held in the forum Wednesday, Dec. 20, for any students and teachers to give blood for those during the holidays.

“I think the blood drive is doing great! So far I have checked back during certain class periods and there are people both giving blood and many students in line to donate blood or get checked if their able to. Hopefully we can reach our goal we have for the holidays because usually around this time of the year people aren’t that smart. That usually leads to accidents and hopefully we have more blood for those people,” said the Vice President of Student Government Sara Hattab.

The Heartland Blood Center is a organization that collects and hosts blood drives at different places. They later sell the blood to hospitals that need the blood. According to Heartland Blood Center, every two seconds someone needs blood and your donation matters. It is the blood that is already on the shelf that doctors reach for first in an emergency.

“You help save lives when you give blood. Not everybody is as fortunate as we are; we get to go outside and do our normal activities everyday. Unfortunately for some people that life doesn’t exist and they are inside the hospitals. Donating blood can get them back to their normal activities, or at least help those people in their progress to get better,” said a medical assistant for Heartland Blood Center, Lasoji Ward.

For those who wants to give blood for the next Student Government Blood Drive or one outside of school through another organization here are some tips from one of the medical assistants, Ward. She recommends prepping for a blood drive a week before by drinking lots of water and fluids, and eating a lot of food.

“My first experience giving blood today was great! The nurse I had made sure I was comfortable and made the whole experience very interesting. I was not worried about giving blood due to the fact that I am a very active student and all I could think about was giving back this holiday season.” said junior, Mark Dembowski after donating blood.

Taft High School’s diversity makes us a great candidate for donating blood, so look out for the next blood drive at Taft or look for one in the community. It gives youths the chance to give back this holiday season!