Students Jump At The Chance To Register To Be A Student Election Judge for 2018

Google Images

Google Images

Katie Morris, Reporter

Registration with Mikva Challenge to be a Student Election Judge in 2018 has begun! Juniors and Seniors at Taft can sign up to be a active youth politician in their community.

Mikva Challenge is a non-profit organization that develops youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens who will promote a just and equitable society. They envision a stronger, inclusive democracy that values youth voice.

One sponsor, Alma Vera, a teacher at Taft High School, works with the Mikva Challenge to engage students in their Elections In Action program. The program consists of three parts: serve as election judge in the polling place, campaign for candidates completing in elections, and intern in the offices of elected officials. The students who sign up will have a three hour training weeks before they begin their duties, but they only have to train once. This program is one of the rare chances where students of Chicago Public Schools (CPS) receive payment plus Service-Learning Hours.

“They (Mikva Challenge) get students from all over the city of Chicago to work near their homes as election judges on election day. It is a great way for students to get involved with voting… to learn about the candidates, the process, and it empowers then to have an impact on the election. In the past students have had the chance to meet who the political committee people are in their community,” said Vera.

In order to be eligible to register and become apart of the Elections to Action program with Mikva Challenge student must be a junior or senior, a United States citizen, and have at least a 3.0 grade point average (GPA). These students can earn up to $190 working with their community on election days such as the Gubernatorial Primary Election in March and the Gubernatorial General Election in November of 2018.

“The purpose is to get students involved with politics at a young age. A lot of people think that if they can’t vote then why bother, but even if you can’t vote you can help people who can vote learn about the candidates… We will be kicking off that part of the Elections to Actions program in January for anyone who wants to campaign for local candidates that are running in the primary,” said Vera.

For students that will be 18 years old before the general election on 6. Nov. 2018 they can vote in the primary election on 20. March. 2018.

Mikva Challenge goal is to have at least 2,000 students sign up and be involved in politics, so register by January 1st at chipollworker.com or contact Vera.