Band Of Brothers

Brendan Gallo Carries On His Family's Wrestling Legacy

Taft Wrestling Captain, Brendan Gallo, takes down his lane opponent in the 132

Kobe Collins

Kobe Collins

Rachelle Mercado, Editor

Growing up in the shadow of your older siblings can be tough. Especially when they’re successful. When you’re Taft wrestler Brendan Gallo and your two older brothers combined to win four city championships and qualify for state twice, growing up in that shadow fuels your competitive drive.

Brendan, only a junior, has already won two city championships of his own. This year he is going for his third, and hopes to be the most accomplished wrestler in the Gallo family.

“We always wanted each other to do good when it came down to it, but we would work in practice and try to see who’s better. It’s always cool to compare yourself to your brother because there will always be trash talk and competitiveness between us,” said Gallo via text message.

Gallo like any other athlete has a goal for himself that he has been close to earning, but has not gotten there just yet.

“My goal is to be a state placer. I haven’t made it to state but I’ve been close I was one match away. I definitely think that goal is do able and that’s what I work at every practice,” said Gallo via text message.

When siblings are apart of the same sport they still have different characteristics that define them as not only a person but also as a hard working team member. Head Coach Brad Engel was able to point out the difference between the two brothers as far as their wrestling skills.

“Brendan is a lot angrier definitely finds more reason to be angry as a wrestler  he finds a lot of inner motivation that way. Danny was more of a lot more flexible a lot more reactive, Brendan is more of a brawler,” said Engel.

As a junior on the team Gallo tries his hardest to prove that he can be one of the best wrestlers on the team. Gallo has been wrestling for Taft since his freshman year and he has accomplished first in his weight class the past two years at city championship and qualified for sectionals his sophomore year.

“It’s always a challenge to show how good I am and how good I can be. My brothers wrestled here and were really good it’s always been a goal of mine to be better than them and I work to be better,” said Gallo via text message.

Coaches hope that the previous team members return to the sport. Being with the same boys throughout their high school lives there are improvements to be seen whether it be at practice or at matches.

“Brendan is just a grinder he puts in lots of work. He’s a two time city champion, he just gets better. He wrestles in a really tough weight class being that there’s lot of guys in those middle weight classes, so he’s got to be able to compete with all of them. He learns and he gets better all the time and just everything is better. He use to not be able to get off the bottom he can get off the bottom he can hit the moves that he wants to hit for the most part when he needs to do it. Brendan has become a much better situational wrestler,” said Engel.

Both Gallo and Maxwell Garland are captains for this season and the boys have built a close bond with one another. Being Garlands senior year he will miss Gallos jokes and hard working attitude.

“He’s a person who will push himself pass his limits to achieve his goal and would go out of his way to help his team get better, he’s an outstanding wrestler and a great friend I’m proud to call him a brother,” said Garland.  

It is hard to live up to one’s expectations, but Brendan has definitely proven that he has what it takes to be the best Gallo that Taft Wrestling has had.