The Trojan Women Takes Stage

Tamoor Baig, Reporter

The Trojan Women, an ancient Greek tragedy originally written by Euripides in 415 B.C around the time of the Peloponnesian War, will be playing at Taft this week.

The production team for The Trojan Women, consisting of around a hundred members, has been putting in hard work and dedication since the second week of school, practicing and spending countless hours in order to perfect their performance and truly embody the play and its characters. The Trojan Women touches on darker, universal themes that can be seen in society even today. Being influenced by the event of the Peloponnesian War and the aftermath of the Trojan War, the play explores the darker nature of humanity created by war and prejudice.

“I read dozens of scripts each year, […] and this was one I read in November shortly after the election and I was in a mood, and the story just struck me. Again, I think it touched something deep within me in terms of where I feel we are as a country, as a society: sort of divided against ourselves and the rush to judgment, the bitterness. I see it with adults more than with kids, taking pleasure in each other’s pain. We cannot continue down that path.” said Jonathan Cohen, Director of The Trojan Women.

Though as proud and accomplished as the production team of The Trojan Women may be now, the journey towards making this play a success was far from an easy task; it was rifled with challenges and obstacles that the team had to overcome together. One such challenge was fitting rehearsal into everyone’s schedule; far too often the entire production team of cast, managers, and other aspects of production would not all be in the same room at the same time. Despite this, the crew made it work and would not let this hindrance affect the quality of their production and the dedication they had towards it.

“Well, I hope that audiences […] appreciate [The Trojan Women]. I hope that they will be moved by it. I hope that audiences will leave the theater seeing the world a little bit differently, and maybe seeing strangers a little bit differently. The show is fundamentally about the horrible things that can happen when one group of people does not see another group of people as human; and I guess that’s the major take away: as much as we might have disagreements with other people, it is important to never lose sight of our common humanity, and to treat each other with the dignity and respect and love that we all deserve as virtue of our shared humanity. I’m hoping that that message comes through someway […] I would really love to see 400 people see this show, it deserves that size audience, it deserves bigger. I hope this is a show students can look back on with a sense of pride and accomplishment,” said Cohen.

To learn from history allows the future to avoid the mistakes made in the past. Watch history come alive by our own Taft students as they perform The Trojan Women from November. 15 through November. 18.