Division Divided

Alejandro Nunez, Reporter

Homeroom, the pointless unproductive period that students and teachers hate alike. Taft has already set plans  into motion to remove or minimize homerooms as much as possible, this is due to a variety of problems. The standout being, homeroom period does not count as class time, and therefore wastes time that could be used in actual classes that count as time to the Board of Education. In essence, homeroom did nothing but add extra time to the year as well as accomplishing what could have been taken care of in five minutes during second periods classes.

Now with the removal of homeroom, Taft’s school day ends at 2:58 pm instead of 3:03 pm (last and prior year end times) along with the shorter days we are able to end the year 2 days earlier as well (June 18th as opposed to June 20th).

All in all, the mass populous seems to agree that the change was necessary and the removal of homeroom was the right choice to make

“I think school would be better because homeroom was pointless and wasted time,” said Julia Kwiatkowska.

With the removal of homeroom it is my belief that any actions or activities that homeroom did can be easily substituted by performing such tasks in regular classes without having minor or major impact on academic progress. Homeroom was a pointless period that served no purpose besides prolonging the year and inefficiently achieved tasks that normal periods could have completed in a fraction of the time. I fully support the school’s decision to remove B bells from the school’s bell schedule and instead opt to decrease total time spent in school and allow us to leave sooner.