Are Esports Real Sports?

League Of Legends Club Playing To Win

Alejandro Nunez, Reporter

Esports, a relatively new trend rising with the young adults and teens today. At Taft we have a climbing esports club that has already achieved multiple accomplishments and awards that has gone almost unnoticed by the mainstream news at Taft.

Taft’s League of Legend (LOL) team has already become 2017 Chicago High School esports Champions as well as 2017 Oswego Invitational Champions and many more accomplishments. But should these video game teams be considered real sports?

Currently at Taft our esports club only has one team for LOL; this is an online Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) which are typically praised in the gaming world as requiring massive amounts of intellect and skill to master making our team’s accomplishments even greater. This brings us to the topic of this article. Are esports a real sport and do they  have similarities.

“If people are attracted to esports and the competition that it brings then I would consider that a type of event and a type of sport,” said assistant principal Patrick Levins.

Most people do not consider esports a sport due to the lack of physical activity that is present. Esports is considered a niche hobby and those who participate in it are “nerds” and have no idea what an actual sport is. Esports games such as LOL Dota 2 and CS:GO all have major fan bases and players who enjoy the game every day.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the market for esports is already massive and is steadily gaining popularity. The worldwide audience for competitive gaming surpassed 134 million in 2015.

Players of esports often practice upwards of eight hours a day working on reactions times, strategies, and, improving themselves every day. Practicing as much as any other  athletes as conveyed by today’s standards. Every day they practice and play their heart out the same way real athletes do and it pays off.

As mentioned early the tournament prize pools are massive Dota 2’s “TI6” tournament had a astonishing 20 million USD prize pool held in 2016. These are the games us teenagers are playing and who the Taft esports club players look up too. The LOL world championships held in 2016 had a prize pool of 5 million.

Some parents might worry that esports would get in the way of their child’s education thankfully

“It (esports) definitely has a positive way especially being organized just like football or any other clubs where you have some investment in the school you’re playing for it just makes you want to do a little better in school.” said esports club coach Mr.Mcfarlin

According to Olof Kajbjer, former best pro CS:GO player in the world, stated to CNN, that in 10 years’ time, it will be as big as NHL.

I hope this article sways your opinion and the various stereotypes and bad reputation it has frequently gotten by multiple communities and shed new light at the potential for greatness this industry has.

For anyone interested in joining eSports club and the awesome things they do click on this link http://tafths.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=336827&type=d .