Take It Outside During Lunch

Students Want To Use Taft's Outdoor Facilities!

Theresa Teresof, Reporter

I oftentimes wish, that as a student at Taft, I had the option of leaving the lunchroom or library during lunch once I enter one of the two rooms.

Not only that, but with those two options you are either stuck in a large room that rather resembles a chaotic circus, or the library where eating is not allowed. Also, with many  teachers not wanting students to eat during class, that leaves them hungry, because they chose to do some schoolwork in the library. Lunch is supposed to be a time for the students to take a break from their hectic schedules, but can actually end up as a stressful experience .

“In school you are on such a tight hour by hour schedule, so it is like you don’t really have time, even during your lunch period when you are feeling rushed to get in line and you have to wait and you are stuck there with a bunch of loud kids,“ said Veronica Comito.

Therefore, it would be nice if the students of Taft could use a space where they can repose from the stress of school and their schedules. An option worth considering, would be if we could use the campus grounds that Taft has to offer. Whether it be the courtyard or the space by the entrance, having the choice of going outside during lunch can make Taft feel a little bit less, as last year’s senior class largely displayed on posters: like a prison, and more like a welcoming school. There are studies that show a correlation between going out in nature and improved cognitive function. One of the benefits of nature is improved short-term memory. When The University of Michigan students were given a brief memory test in a study, the ones who took a walk around an arboretum did 20% better on it than the half who walked down a city state. Luckily the area around Taft is full of  greenery and there is a park right next to it. In another study published in the journal Environment & Behavior in 1991, researchers worked to deplete participants’ ability to focus and the ones who walked in nature, scored the best on a proofreading test showing better concentration. Furthermore, according to a study in the Journal of Attention Disorders published in 2008, found that kids with ADHD had better concentration after spending just 20 minutes in a park.

Students can do their homework or just take a breather  outside instead of being cooped up inside all day in the white sterility of the Taft walls.  One can enjoy  the warm summer sun when the temperatures are up. Being able to go outside during lunch will not only be beneficial to the students  but also the teachers, who have the pleasure of teaching especially energetic kids. By walking around outside or even running one can release some energy and tension, so that they are then able to focus on their school work and not disrupt the class with talking and moving about the class. I have had the pleasure of attending schools where I had the option of going outside, and when I got overwhelmed with the stress of school, I could simply step outside and breathe in the fresh air, feel the warmth of the sun in summer and look at the trees with their varying shades of green. Then, once the bell rang I was able to continue learning with a new attitude and fresh state of mind.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Take It Outside During Lunch”

1. Mr. McKinney on October 4th, 2017 2:59 pm

Nice article

[Reply]

Theresa Teresof Reply:

Thank you

[Reply]

2. Eva on February 16th, 2018 5:05 pm

You are really good.

[Reply]

• Take It Outside During Lunch

Columns

Campus Safety Concerns Cloud College Decision-Making Process

• Take It Outside During Lunch

Columns

Taft Needs A New Pool

• Take It Outside During Lunch

Video

News Update: 2/20/18

• Take It Outside During Lunch

News

The African American Club Hosts Another Crowd Pleasing Performance

• Take It Outside During Lunch

News

Hear The Results of Taft’s Annual Poetry Out Loud Competition

• Take It Outside During Lunch

Former CPS Student Returns As Student Teacher

• Take It Outside During Lunch

Sixteen Year Old International Taft Student Interviews With Harvard University Admissions

• Take It Outside During Lunch

News

Beloved Music Teacher Receives New Liver

• Take It Outside During Lunch

News

African American Club Hosts Motivational Speaker

• Take It Outside During Lunch

No Mercy!

Take It Outside During Lunch