No Mercy!

Wrestling Dominates En Route To Program's First City Title

Taft wrestlers and coaches posing with their personal and team awards after Day 2 of the City Championships.

Alex Burstein, Reporter

Taft wrestling lived up to its motto showing “no mercy” en route to the program’s first city championship in school history.

After qualifying all 14 wrestlers for Day 2 of the city championships, the Eagles won the overall team championship and individual championships in three weight classes. Julian Valtierrez won at 106 pounds, Amarri Arguelles won at 113 pounds, and heavyweight Piotr Krupa brought home championships for Taft. The Eagles ended the day with three first-place finishers, three second-place finishers, five third-place finishers, and one fifth-place finisher.

“You know when we wrestle like that we can certainly contend for a regional title,” said Coach Brad Engel.

Taft led in four of the five major team categories that were tracked: Most Pins Least Time, Most Pins/Tech Falls Least Time, Most Total Match Points, and Largest Speed-Place Difference. Taft led all day including a 12.5 point lead after round 1 and a 100.5 point lead before the consolation finals.  

After winning the city championship, coach Brad Engel believes the future is bright for Taft wrestling.

“I look forward to watching all of them. We have got so many young guys. We’re only losing three seniors from our starting lineup, so there is a lot to look forward to for the future of Taft,” said Coach Engel.

The returning champions all hope to place in state going forward. Taft is going to keep on practicing with the city title belt under their name as they prepare for their next challenge, IHSA Regionals.

After the big win, the team really feels as if they have a chance heading into regionals, sectionals, and state. The other three city champions feel the same way as well, hoping to bring home some individual and team accolades. All three of the champions, Krupa, Arguelles and Valtierrez had about the same thoughts, each wanting to do really well in regionals and sectionals to set up a path to possibly reach state individually.

The three city champions felt accomplished after winning.

“I felt really energetic and happy and I also felt like I had something to prove so I felt like I deserved it,” said Arguelles.

Update:

Saturday Feb. 3 the wrestling team had regionals where they took third place overall.

“I think we wrestled well. I think overall we needed some help from the other schools in beating Maine South and we didn’t get any. I think we did about as good as I would’ve been expected. Would’ve been nice to see some guys step up but overall it wasn’t bad,” said Engel.

Every Coach hopes that all their members will advance to state, but it is not an easy accomplishment.

“The real measure is how many people we get to state because ultimately that’s the biggest thing we do. Try to send people to state. So this weekend is going to play a big role in that,” said Engel.

Update:

This past Saturday the wrestling team went on to IHSA sectional tournament where Piotr Krupa took 3rd place and advances to state championships.

Coach Engel and Krupa will be going to the University of Illinois for the state tournament.