Louder Than a Bomb Allows Students to Write, Recite poetry

Tamoor Baig, Reporter

Taft High School’s Louder Than a Bomb poetry team participated in the Patricia Smith Slam regional competition and placed second overall of the schools that attended.

Louder Than a Bomb is a poetry program for youth, started back in 2001 and organized by the Young Chicago Authors organization, and has been a part of Taft for almost six years. The coaches of the team and club are Ryan Dooley and Allison Taylor. The two coaches help to guide students through the writing prompts and memorization along with other tasks such as selecting the team as well as organizing and getting students to the events.    

“I think we did pretty good. We have a lot of new members to the team and so for a lot of students it was their first time like actually in a bout performing outside our kids at Taft.[…] I think overall it was pretty good, but also their slogan is the point is not the points, the point is the poetry,” said Ryan Dooley, head coach of the Louder Than a Bomb team.

In the Louder Than a bomb competition, students write their own original pieces of poetry as well as memorize and perform them, and are scored on their work as well as presentation by five judges with the scoring ranging from zero to ten. The average of the scores determines who moves on in the competition.

“It’s definitely allowed me to be more confident in myself and everything I do because I’ve always been kind of insecure. Poetry had been like a secret part of myself, but now that it’s not really a secret anymore, it’s helped a lot with my confidence and it has made me more durable,” said Tristan Rivera, a member of Taft’s Louder Than A Bomb poetry team.

While Louder Than a Bomb has helped youth grow in their writing and communication skills as well as teamwork ability, the program has also helped the instructors grow and develop with their students.

“In order to coach, I had to get better at teaching poetry. It also made me more competent in teaching poetry in my English classes,” said Dooley

The Louder Than a Bomb team is restricted to only ten members for competing, however the club is open to anyone wanting to create their own works of poetry and develop their writing skills while sharing and growing with their fellow writers.

“Join, it’s fun. It’s definitely worth the try, even if you don’t end up liking it, it’s a good opportunity to at least look into it,” said the Louder Than a Bomb team captain.

Through the power of literature, the expression of individuality and understanding of others can be explored; Louder Than a Bomb has opened a floodgate in guiding today’s youths to express themselves and grow through the art and craft of poetry.