Auditions Rock For We Will Rock You

Tamoor Baig, Reporter

Auditions for the new musical We Will Rock You ended Thursday with a large turnout of  contestants auditioning for the many parts needed. Auditions took place over Wednesday and Thursday with auditioners who made the cut being announced Friday.

We Will Rock You, a musical written by Ben Elton, that was first performed in 2002, will be directed by drama department member Bryan Wilson. The Musical explores themes of individuality and the opposition of large corporations and monopolies, and is heavily inspired off of the rock band Queen and their music.

Wilson chose We Will Rock You due to the strong connections that he had with the music and musical and the impact it had on him.

“We Will Rock You represents how rock music and Freddie Mercury spoke for individuals and the right to say what we want to say.” said Wilson.

During auditions, students were assessed on their energy levels, their charisma and eagerness to explore was what was looked at. Auditioners had to demonstrated that they were risk takers, enthusiastic, courteous to other auditioners, and had no attitude, along with being able to show their talents: singing ability, and the ability to give character to a song.

Auditions allowed for students to express themselves, build self-confidence, and grow as individuals.

“I’m definitely going out of my comfort zone because I usually don’t audition, especially for musicals, so this makes me more of a risk taker because I wouldn’t do this usually.” said Yvette Lentz a student auditioning for a part in the musical.

When making the decisions as to who gets the part a team of teachers collaborate in the decision looking not only the skill sets of the auditioners but also who would be most successful for the roles, who can work together in synergy and has better chemistry, if they are able to handle the role, as well as past history may be taken into account.

“We are going to have some tough decisions. We probably are going to end up with either a much larger cast than what we had initially projected, or we’re going to end up having to say to some very, very, talented people ‘come back for the one act auditions, come back next year to audition, and try again.’ It’s a very tough place to be, we always try to be very thoughtful about things, but that’s what one of the hardest processes of auditions is.” said Wilson

The future cast of We Will Rock You will have their work cut out for them and a hungry audience waiting to see the demonstration of Taft’s talent on stage. For those who did not make the cut, there will be other opportunities later on, such as the One Act auditions. Cast members will be announced Friday.