Taft Twins Take On The Chicago Police And Fire Training Academy

Haley Perez, Reporter

Taft’s very own set of twins Janelie Rodriguez and Jocelyn Rodriguez have joined the Chicago Police and Fire Training Academy (CPFTA) to further their knowledge on saving lives.

The two determined students joined the CPFTA program in 2016 and have decided to continue their journey in the program by joining the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program also offered at the academy. The program fills their Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 4:30- 7:30 p.m. to learn about every possible scenario a paramedic may be thrown in.

Being in the program can be difficult for two seniors who are preparing and figuring out what they want to do during their college years. Along with this commitment, they also balance jobs, school, sports, and home responsibilities. With these activities, they’d like to show their true dedication and hard work that they want to complete in order to have a successful future.

“It is challenging at times but I am able to balance and plan my priorities out well. My sister and I have to do all that we possibly can in order to get where we want to be in life and nothing can stop us from doing that but ourselves. We have a lot of help and support as well from all our teachers and our mom which is absolutely amazing,” said Jocelyn Rodriguez.

Even though being an EMT may not be their ideal goal, it is a great job to handle with its many benefits.

“I decided to join the EMT program because it’s my plan B. If my intended goal doesn’t work out I will always have that certificate that is needed in order to be an EMT. If I do get my dream job, which is a detective or anything in law enforcement, having the EMT certificate will be very beneficial,” said Janelie Rodriguez.

The coordinator of the academy Derek Glowacz is very impressed with how far the girls have come from when they first started the program and is amazed every day by how well they are able to balance their busy schedules.

“Jocelyn and Janelie Rodriguez are both senior Cadets in our CPFTA program, acting as leaders in all of their ventures in our two year program. The time required to balance the rigorous workload of Taft’s IB curriculum and the requirements of the EMT-B certificate program via CPFTA, is truly a daunting task. Janelie and Jocelyn embody the mission of our program and rise to the challenge for whatever is placed in front of them,” said Glowacz.

Any sophomore interested can sign up at the CPFTA website. Once accepted, a background check and drug quest are required. Whomever passes will be able to start the program at the start of their junior year.