Taft Wrestling Gets Rare Shutout In 82-0 Blowout Of Niles North

Alex Burstein, Reporter

Eagles wrestling had their final home dual Thursday, against regional foe Niles North.

The Eagles started with the lead, after Niles North forfeited the first weight class, and never looked back, shutting out the Vikings 82-0, and pinning 11 of the 12 opponents they faced.

As the points started piling on, the Eagles went by their motto “No mercy” and didn’t hold back at all. Aggressiveness in the lighter classes and power in the heavier class, as well as all around strategy to give the short-handed Eagles a major advantage in the match in almost all of the 12 varsity matches.

After the match, two-sport athlete Piotr Krupa, won his match automatically because his opponent got disqualified. 

“A shutout against a good Niles North team was a confidence booster especially since it was a regional foe. However, when it switched to state playoff hopes the certainty dialed down,” said Krupa.

Although some people pinned faster than others or showed they were stronger than others on the Eagles it was  still a great team effort for the Eagles as they put on one of the most dominant performances this season.

“That’s the first shutout we have had here since I’ve been here, showing how rare and amazing this feat of a shutout is,” said Head Coach Brad Engel

The Eagles are looking to continue their recent success as they face off in the Warren Township Quad against Warren Township, Glenbard East, and Rolling Meadow. This dual is to be held at the Warren Township Almond Campus at 9:00 a.m. next Saturday, Jan. 13.