Star Wars: The Last Jedi Review

Nicholas Sliva, Film Critic

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the eighth and newest entry in the incredibly popular Star Wars film series created by George Lucas. Directed by Rian Johnson, who also directed episodes of the American drama series, Breaking Bad, and the movie Looper, Star Wars: The Last Jedi is a direct continuation to the previous film, Star Wars:The Force Awakens. Featuring amazing visuals, battle sequences, and an entertaining story the film presents a fun and engaging experience. In this film, viewers follow Rey (played by Daisy Ridley) trying to learn the ways of the Jedi with Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hamill) . While Rey is on her quest of self discovery the rebellion is is trying to escape the grasp of The First Order. The film and director has sparked a great deal of criticism from various fans for a couple of decisions regarding the characters and plot in the movie. Considering the audience’s opinion, I believe that this movie is fantastic and will go as far as to say that it was better than The Force Awakens. Still, there is the question of if the film will satisfy casual viewers and hardcore fans alike.

Despite not being a big Star Wars fan myself, I found myself deeply impressed. In this movie you get more character growth from Rey and Poe Dameron (played by Oscar Isaac). Poe Dameron is portrayed as more than just a pilot, as he was portrayed in The Force Awakens. Here he is now someone who has a big influence on the Resistance and more of his rebellious nature is seen. The Last Jedi had me invested in the characters and made me question their true intentions.   Speaking of characters, this is where much of the film’s criticism from many fans can be seen as they were not pleased with the fact that some supporting characters did not receive enough backstory in the film as well as the treatment of characterization of characters from the original trilogy such Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa (Played by Carrie Fisher). The battles were very intense and made me question the fate of various characters. The fight scenes in the film are more unique than the other films and, in my opinion, a lot more choreographed when compared to those in the other Star Wars films. Despite this the film’s overall plot can feel a little convoluted at times as viewers are given three plotlines going on at the same time to focus on.

In conclusion, I was pleasantly surprised with Star War: The Last Jedi as I didn’t expect it to be stronger than previous entries. For more serious Star Wars fans you are likely to have more critiques and complaints for the film, but nonetheless will still find much to enjoy regardless of this.  For more casual people that have only seen the Force Awakens, this film presents a improved sequel with more of the same great quality the prior movie brought you.  I do suggest that you watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens before you watch The Last Jedi however if you have not as the plot will be difficult to understand having not seen the prior entry. Overall  I give this movie a 4.5/5.