National Honor Society Gives Back To Lutheran General Children’s Hospital With Toy Drive

Priscilla Salcedo, Reporter

Taft High School’s National Honor Society club is having a toy drive where the toys will be donated to Lutheran General Children’s Hospital. The toys are due on Friday, Dec. 15 Toys will be delivered to Lutheran General Children’s Hospital on Saturday, Dec. 16. New unwrapped gifts for boys and girls will be appreciated for the toy drive. Unwrapped Christmas toys are allowed but stuffed animals, homemade gifts, wrapped gifts, and used gifts are not.

The toy drive was organized by Taft student, President of the National Honor Society Jack English, because of connections to the hospital.

“My Mom is a recovery room nurse at Lutheran General Hospital, and she’s been working there for over 35 years so a lot of people know my mom. I had applied, you had to go through an online application and when they found out who my mom was, I did a phone interview with them. I got accepted to volunteer and I’m in the transportation department, so I discharge patients all the time, that’s why I see all these patients,” said English

Meghan Kelly

The National Honors Society is a nationwide organization for excelling high school students in the United States who value education and community service.

“I believe I can focus a lot on giving back because I have experience with that my dad got really sick and almost like passed away. My whole community got together and gave us like this huge card with a bunch of like jewel gift cards and like all this stuff like they’d take us shopping or buy us food. That really like opened my eyes to how much I can do for other people and I want to show people that you need to step up and do something you believe in if you believe highly in it, then go for it,” said Vice President of the National Honor Society Nicole Gorder.

The students of the National Honor Society are set up in the main entrance before school starts waiting donations.