Call Of Duty: WWII Review

Alejandro Nunez, Reporter

Call of Duty: WWII is a multiplayer first person shooter game released on November 3rd, 2017. WWII is the fourteenth game in the Call of Duty franchise. WWII returned to a more traditional conflict inside the game after massive backlash from the community due to lack of realism. WWII features three game modes including a multiplayer online option where you go head to head with other players, a campaign/story mode acting as an interactive movie where you play as the main character while completing missions and progressing through the story, and the final mode is Nazi Zombies, which takes place inside one of the three included maps where the player survives an endless onslaught of undead whilst completing various objectives within the map.

My initial impression on WWII’s campaign was mainly negative; the opening mission takes place on D-day, when the allied powers stormed the beach of Normandy to take over a heavy nazi presence. You play as Army Private Ronald “Red” Daniels along with Private First Class Robert Zussman and Technical Sergeant William Pierson, being the two main supporting characters, although there are other members in your platoon these two are the most prominent. The mission stays mostly historically accurate despite relying heavily on cliches and predictable plot devices. These trends are a recurring element to the game all throughout the storyline.

Sledgehammer did a fantastic job on Red’s character development offering multiple cutscenes developing who he is and his struggles through the war, but this seems to be the only character that is given any depth and development.  While many of the game’s supporting cast can be interacted with, they are not given any background other than for a select few; one of them being Camille “Rousseau” Denis, a French resistance member with a cliche background who is out for vengeance. In all WWII’s campaign was a rather drawn out cliche filled story that offers no real motivation or reason to play. It relies heavily on our perception of the actual war we learned about and just added a few drawn out character arc we have seen so many times before in movies and other games.

Where the Campaign failed is where WWII’s multiplayer shines. WWII’s Multiplayer option offers a diverse set of game modes including the new “War Mode” feature where you and your team attack defend missions to gain advantages over your opponents. Multi-player gives the player a large selection of game modes to choose from that have all been present in former CoD’s with the exception of War Mode. Unfortunately the weapons used inside multiplayer seem to lack a feel of accuracy and stray too far from their historical counterparts. Examples being: the Submachine Gun class of weapons that allow you to attach suppressors to your weapons, a feature that had not existed or was not used for such weapons when the war was actually being fought. This paired with a large amount of liberties CoD decided to take with their weapons kills the immersion they try to create. Many of the game’s attachments and mechanics seem to stray off from historical accuracy and seem to only be there to cater to the competitive side of the game rather than the historically accurate side. The same could be said about the maps you play in excluding War Mode many of the maps had no real merit or importance to the war but are there to provide an enjoyable experience to the player. With this being said there are many design flaws within the map that hurt the gameplay and have caused criticism in the community.  Multiplayer achieves its goal to provide a fun casual or competitive experience for its players but fails to remain historically accurate in its maps, weapons, abilities, etc.

Arguably the most anticipated mode in the entire game is the Nazi Zombies. This mode pins you and up to four other players to fight until you die. In the various maps available to play, the player(s) must complete game tasks whilst fighting zombies that provide a challenge to deal with as the zombies spawn in various spots in unpredictable orders. WWII gives your player a health bar to indicate how many hits you can take before your character downs and your teammate has to revive you. This feature has not been present in any other installment of CoD. In all WWII’s Zombies mode offers a fresh but familiar sight to older fans who have played the game before, for newcomers it offers a fun opportunity to play objectives with your friends and scare yourself.

CoD WWII provides a fun casual/competitive experience for fans both old and new. But take this with a grain of salt due to the overuse of cliches, very similar game mechanics and overall goals, and comprise in historical accuracy, this tacked on to the entire game seeming to ride the hype wave set by Battlefield 1 taking place during WWI and establishing a market and a want for old war games. But to the common player this game is a great time killer and enjoyable, but hardcore gamers would be disappointed in the reuse and recycling of all the things we have seen before.