Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review

Nicholas Silva, Film Critic

Kingsman The Golden Circle is a sequel to Kingsman The Secret Service, both directed by Matthew Vaughn.  Matthew Vaughn’s prior works include Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, and his writing for X-men: Days of Future Past.  The original film was a fun action movie and I was excited for what he could do with this one. I was able to find that he did not disappoint as yet again he does an amazing job delivering over the top action scenes and humorous dialogue. This new movie involves the Kingsman secret agency that has now been destroyed, and Eggsy, played by Taron Egerton, and Merlin, played by Mark Strong, have to rebuild it and reestablish the Kingsman name.  In order to do this, they sought the help of their American cousins, the Statesman. Together the Kingsman and the Statesman agency try to figure out who destroyed the Kingsman and is holding the world hostage via a virus threat.

First of all, I would like to say that I love what Hollywood is doing with the use of more classic music in their action scenes. It is always enjoyable to hear classic compositions, because they are unique compared to what is more familiar to younger viewers who will now get to listen to music they may never have heard of, such as “Take me home, Country Roads” by John Dever.  The film’s various action scenes are all fun to watch, I have always loved the way Matthew Vaughn has done fight scenes in his movies.  For example, Vaughn whips around the camera to enable an effect of making the audience feel like the scene is filmed with no cuts while you personally are swinging through it. I know that he is not the first director to do this, but I like it when filmmakers put you in the center of the action. Other than the camera work, the characters and acting were quite typical, there was not a particular performance that put me in awe. The film’s best dialogue often came from the supporting cast. My only real complaint regarding the film comes from the the film’s length.  Kingsman the Golden Service ran at  a total of 2 hours and 21 minutes. While it is full of content I found some certain scenes to be dragging and feel too slow.

In conclusion, I think the first Kingsman was superior to this film. Making a sequel is often a difficult task as the expectations are already set but I feel in this case the original film was an overall better product. Regardless of that, Kingsman: the Golden Circle is still a fun watch with some great humor and action scenes.  I would recommend this movie to a person who wants to hear commendable music and watch something more humorous and less serious.  I am going to give this movie ⅘ stars.