The Trojan Women: Review

Alex Prestigiacomo, Editor

After a strenuous production, The Trojan Women has finally taken the stage inside Taft’s very own Black Box Theater.

Set during the backdrop of the Trojan War, the play follows the women of Troy, who have all faced a great tragedy. Their city sacked and their husbands killed in the ensuing conflict, the women are forced to navigate these hardships and endure the trials  that lie ahead. Along the way, each character is tested in their own way and forced to conform in order to meet the harshness that their new world represents. Since its inception, the play has been popular around the world. The story deals primarily with themes such as abuse, sexuality, and the horrors of war.

Despite its small cast the play encompasses great talent from its members that are mostly comprised of returning drama actors. Where the cast really shines is in the leading roles of Alyssa Argent as Cassandra, Kayla Tannehill as Hecuba, and Giorgia Cozzo as Andromache. Their talent shines throughout and each actress more than meets the task of selling the deep themes that this play portrays. Along with the rest of the production’s cast, all of them give amazing performances that truly encompass the characters that they portray and the tribulations that they are forced to endure throughout.

Also commendable are the play’s tech support for their great job on the lights of the show. Their work helps in further bringing the grimness of this world to real life. The production uses light to its advantage, often using it as a creative means to emphasize story elements or imagery.

The hard work of the entire team behind this production is evident throughout the show and is well worth seeing. The Trojan Women will be shown from Nov. 15 to Nov. 18 inside of Taft’s Black Box theater.